Berry Hill and the surrounding areas played rugby as early as 1883.
Local legend tells of a Berry Hill side as far back as 1889 from the village of that name. However, official recognition came in 1892.
In 1899/1900 the club moved to the new headquarters at The Globe Inn, Berry Hill. The ground was located in an area in the village known as ‘Crow Ash’, where the team played as the ‘Crescents’.
In 1905 this club moved to its present ground at Lakers Road with the opening game against local rivals Drybrook.
Success is engrained into club history with the club winning the local Forest of Dean combination club on several occasions through the 1920s, 30 and 40’s. Following the war years the club fortunes declined, to be saved by a strong junior section in the 50s.
The 60/70’s saw huge growth in the club with 6 sides, Cup success followed in the 70’s and 80’s with several back to back Combination and County cup victories. Big club cup fixtures were frequent, Harlequins, Bath and London Scottish to name a few.
The advent of league rugby in ’87 saw the club placed in the southwest structure and in 92′ rewarded with promotion to the national league. The last few years have seen an enormous change in Rugby Football, and see’s us currently playing in the Gloucestershire leagues.
Our success will be built on a solid foundation as we look forward to the future of Rugby Football at Berry Hill R.F.C and will continue to ensure to its greatest ability to attain the highest level of rugby, and maybe achieve national recognition once again.